PDA

View Full Version : Short throw shifter?

KnightRider5.0
03-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Alright gents I'm looking cautiously into short throw shifters for my 5.0. I installed a short throw in another car and it created tranny problems after about 4,000 miles after installation, due to it didn't fully slide into gear and due to partial engagement it messed up the gears in the transmission. Has anyone had any problems like this, also what short throw shifters would you recommend?

downtime!
03-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Installed short throw shifter in every car I've owned over the last 10 years and never had that issue. For these cars, Barton or MGW are the only ones to use. Quality made, easy installation, and stand up companies.

KnightRider5.0
03-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Ya that's the argument on 3 mustang forums right now MGW vs Barton.

BLK2012GT
03-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Mgw ftw!!!!!!!

downtime!
03-22-2013, 11:16 PM
I've had both, went with a Barton this time around, for no particular reason. They both cost about the same, are about the same to install and both do a great job. I have no real issue with the stocker at this point, just running out of things to change on the car! LOL!

KnightRider5.0
03-30-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm thinking about going with the ford racing shifter that way my warranty would stay in tact. Anyone had any experience with these?

BLK2012GT
03-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Didn't know they had one.

Midnight11
03-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Ford racing his the Barton....

Mgw

MidWest281
03-30-2013, 11:35 AM
I have an MGW in my 2002 GT.

Not really sure what all the hype is about when it comes to different shifter manufacturers. I am sure they probably feel a little different, but can't be THAT much different.

On the 2002 GT, the T3650 transmission had internal shift stops, so you didn't need to have the stop screws in place on the shifter itself. The only time you'd have engagement issues, or it popping out of gear would be if the shift stops on the shifter itself are interferring.....or if the shifter is not manufactured correctly?

I am sure Ford Racing or Steeda makes a good short throw shifter....after all, those are big name race companies....

OG Fox
04-01-2013, 02:23 AM
MGW, it replaces the entire shifter assembly. Other manufacturers only replace the top half along with the bracket underneath. Barton comes close, but for a little more money you can get the best in MGW. The ford racing one is overpriced.

TrueStreetTim
04-02-2013, 12:42 PM
MGW, it replaces the entire shifter assembly. Other manufacturers only replace the top half along with the bracket underneath. Barton comes close, but for a little more money you can get the best in MGW. The ford racing one is overpriced.

:leghump:

MGW shifter keeps your factory "push down" action to go into reverse as well. I've driven a handful with Hurst etc that is a bit of a PITA to keep from going backwards when I want to go forward lol. But of course I don't daily a 5.0 either.

Phuck Phace
04-02-2013, 01:00 PM
MGW for the win, I wouldn't skimp on a shifter since you're going to use it every time you drive your car.