PDA

View Full Version : Front license plate Bill

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 10:50 AM
House Bill 657 to be considered on Tuesday 03/13. Write your legislator.

UPDATE

Texas Single License Plate Bill Introduced in Texas Legislature to be Considered on Tues., March 12

Legislation (H.B. 657) to require the issuance of a single motor vehicle license plate for attachment at the rear of the vehicle will be considered by the Texas House Transportation Committee on Tuesday, March 12, 2013. The bill, favored by state hobbyists, would apply to passenger cars and light trucks.

We Urge You to Contact Members of the House Transportation Committee (Contact Info Below) Immediately to Request Support for H.B. 657

H.B. 657 would apply to all passenger cars used to accommodate 10 or fewer passengers and light trucks, including pickup trucks, panel delivery trucks, or carryall trucks that have a manufacturer's rated carrying capacity of 2,000 pounds or less.

H.B. 657 would protect the aesthetic contours of collector cars and relieve vehicle owners of the burden of having to create mounting holes on fabricated bumpers, etc.

H.B. 657 would save money, conserve resources and bring Texas in line with other states that have moved to a single plate requirement.
DON’T DELAY! If you haven’t done so already, please contact members of the Texas House Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to request their support for H.B. 657.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at [email protected]. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

Texas House Transportation Committee

To e-mail all Committee members, copy and paste the email address block below:

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

JDBishopArts
03-11-2013, 02:21 PM
I wish this would pass but I highly doubt it would. Texas makes too much money off the front plates. I'd even be willing to pay double for the rear plate if I didn't have to run the front one.

brtnstrns
03-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Would be nice, but we'll see how this goes. Can't imagine the big wigs looking out for a few people wanting to not drill into their front bumper.

MnemonicGhost
03-11-2013, 09:00 PM
I thought it was still "illegal" but not a fineable offense. In other words they accidently left out the fee in the last ill revision. So a cop can still pull you over for it. Any truth to that?

brtnstrns
03-11-2013, 09:27 PM
I thought it was still "illegal" but not a fineable offense. In other words they accidently left out the fee in the last ill revision. So a cop can still pull you over for it. Any truth to that?

That is correct. You could still get pulled over and they find a reason to ticket you for another reason

03MachMe
03-11-2013, 11:25 PM
^depends on the department. They will either fix the problem or get rid of it.

aCid
03-12-2013, 03:34 AM
It's illegal and they can still write you a ticket. City cops don't really give a flying fuck. They will use it as a PCT though. DPS on the other hand has pulled me over twice and gave me warnings. They said my next stop they'll give me a ticket for not having a front license plate. Both DPS officers told me they still write tickets for them. One was in Austin on 130 and the other was on 35w passing TMS.

pohnjarker
03-12-2013, 05:13 AM
what kind of ticket do they write if there is no fee?

my wife got pulled over for it and they gave her a warning and said her name is in the database that she got a warning so next time there will be a ticket.

i got one of those no drill license plate brackets but it looks retarded...hopefully this goes away.

MnemonicGhost
03-12-2013, 05:09 PM
And no offense to anyone who does this, but I hate the license plate on the windshield thing. I get it. Don't want to drill out the tapped holes in the bumper, but it looks tacky on the dash. At least it's temporary. I would also hate a metal plate to be loose in the cab during an accident too.

And back on topic, I e-mailed all the representatives. Fight the power! Er. You Go Girl or something... :)

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/find-your-representative/

Phuck Phace
03-12-2013, 05:41 PM
File Transfer Protocol

DirtyD
03-12-2013, 05:44 PM
It's illegal and they can still write you a ticket. City cops don't really give a flying fuck. They will use it as a PCT though. DPS on the other hand has pulled me over twice and gave me warnings. They said my next stop they'll give me a ticket for not having a front license plate. Both DPS officers told me they still write tickets for them. One was in Austin on 130 and the other was on 35w passing TMS.

I've yet to be pulled over by a DPS for no front plate, and I have passed many here in DFW, and MANY more traveling between DFW and my home in Houston. Hell, our family friend who is a DPS officer in Brazoria County, huge for drug trafficking, said the car looks good and didn't mention my front plate missing. Haha

MidWest281
03-12-2013, 08:06 PM
I just put the plate in the front window....I figure that's good enough. If they want to be a dick and ticket me for it, go ahead....never going to drill holes in my bumper. sorry.

03MachMe
03-12-2013, 09:13 PM
I just put the plate in the front window....I figure that's good enough. If they want to be a dick and ticket me for it, go ahead....never going to drill holes in my bumper. sorry.

Your better off to just leave it out of the car all together. In the Window will just get the cops attention, no plate at all is easier to miss. Trust me on this

DirtyD
03-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Your better off to just leave it out of the car all together. In the Window will just get the cops attention, no plate at all is easier to miss. Trust me on this

Agreed.

Go buy you a Craig's mustang bracket. Worth it for $50 to remove it whenever you want

MidWest281
03-12-2013, 11:47 PM
well if the front plate is visible from the front.....technically I can't get pulled over for not having a front plate......:challenge:

DirtyD
03-13-2013, 12:21 AM
They will still pull you over, because the law technically says place on the front most part of the vehicle.

He will also tell you that it's a hazard to have it in the windshield. I had a DPS tell me this.

MidWest281
03-13-2013, 12:32 AM
They will still pull you over, because the law technically says place on the front most part of the vehicle.

He will also tell you that it's a hazard to have it in the windshield. I had a DPS tell me this.

thats when I turn my side exhaust into flame throwers.

DirtyD
03-13-2013, 12:49 AM
thats when I turn my side exhaust into flame throwers.

:lol:

03MachMe
03-13-2013, 05:45 AM
well if the front plate is visible from the front.....technically I can't get pulled over for not having a front plate......:challenge:

There is court cases saying it has to be on the front most part of the vehicle I. E. The bumper. Like I said cops are more likely to notice you if it is the windshield than if you don't have one at all... Trust me on this one :poker:

DirtyD
03-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Trust me on this one :poker:

Not to quote Twilight, but I will only because it's a fitting line.

"I know these things...well...because I'm a cop."

zemog255
03-13-2013, 08:49 AM

I have 15+ stops for no front LP, you know how many times that line worked? lol Not even once. 2 tickets. First time they just walked outside saw it in the window and said looks good to me. $15 fine. 2nd time same DPS officer asked me why I hadn't fixed it. I said the JP you sent me to said it was fine. He said he doesn't make the law, I said well he obviously doesn't care..So ticket number 2 different JP. His secretary tried to put up a fight and argued the furtherst most point on the vehichle and I said show me. At the time the time the law wasn't wriitten that way. A hour later of like 5 different women trying to show me I was wrong.. $15 fine.. I asked why do I have to pay a fine if you are admitting you're wrong. I thought they were going to kill me at that point lol

Also it can't be mounted inside the cabin area. I actually told a different DPS to show that to me. I had done tons of research on the law and never seen it actually written. I even wrote down the law number and still couldnt find it afterwards. It took him probably 20mins but he came back with the book and showed me. Like others have said leaving it off is easier. If you live in the city those cops don't really care. Of all my stops for it 2 were city cops and they were just bored. The DPS are the ones that care.

Real
03-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Not to quote Twilight, but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXw6znXPfy4

03MachMe
03-13-2013, 11:15 AM

:roflsquared:

JDBishopArts
03-13-2013, 11:26 AM
^^^^ HAHAHAH awesome.

I don't run a front plate and I sure as heck don't want it anywhere inside the vehicle. I don't want a rouge saw blade flying around the cockpit if I get hit or get a little squirrelly.

DirtyD
03-13-2013, 12:29 PM
:lol:

^^^^ HAHAHAH awesome.

I don't run a front plate and I sure as heck don't want it anywhere inside the vehicle. I don't want a rouge saw blade flying around the cockpit if I get hit or get a little squirrelly.
I had mine already attached to the no-drill bracket and carried it in my trunk, but took it out. if I get stopped, I will say that I washed my car and took it off and forgot about it (hopefully the car isn't crazy dirty....)

Real
03-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Fuck a front plate... I collect them, but they've never seen my cars.

MidWest281
03-13-2013, 03:29 PM

if having a front plate in the windshield is a hazard (for visibility) then so is the state inspection and registration stickers....might as well just peel those off. haha

MidWest281
03-13-2013, 03:31 PM
... I sure as heck don't want it anywhere inside the vehicle. I don't want a rouge saw blade flying around the cockpit if I get hit or get a little squirrelly.

its secured to the glass with suction cups

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/69269_719959889395_1066796377_n.jpg

if you tell a cop "dude, don't be an asshole..." you think that's proper reasoning to not get a ticket?

JDBishopArts
03-13-2013, 03:57 PM
You trust your neck to suction cups? Plus it's still "illegal" to have it in the windshield. So what's the point?

It was deemed illegal in 2010

An Amarillo appeals court looked at the code and said the plate must be displayed "where the car begins ... the foremost area of the car."

The Court of Criminal Appeals, agreeing with the Amarillo court, took that to most commonly mean the front bumper.

"'Front' means the foremost part or beginning of a vehicle, not in the front half, or in the front portion," Judge Cathy Cochran said in her majority opinion.

03MachMe
03-13-2013, 04:32 PM
its secured to the glass with suction cups

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/69269_719959889395_1066796377_n.jpg

if you tell a cop "dude, don't be an asshole..." you think that's proper reasoning to not get a ticket?

Yea because you will get at least 2....if your lucky. And josh is right, still illegal and is a hazard because can become a projectile if involved in an accident not for blocking view. But also could be considered to be impairing your vision if the cop really feels like being a "dick"

MidWest281
03-13-2013, 04:36 PM
hmmm,

I guess I'll just take it outta the front window then.....?

JDBishopArts
03-13-2013, 04:39 PM
I would. You have a 2013 boss. You're more likely to get pulled over for having such a badass car.

MidWest281
03-13-2013, 05:04 PM
I would. You have a 2013 boss. You're more likely to get pulled over for having such a badass car.

:patriot::favorites13:

....now to get the suction cup marks off the inside of the windshield...

JDBishopArts
03-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Lick it and unstick it.

zemog255
03-15-2013, 10:35 AM
My friend and I both got stopped last night in Houston. Both got no frpnt plate ticketa and illegal tires both had brand new et streets. They just told us tell it to the judge.

Grandpa
03-15-2013, 10:42 AM
As much as I hate it, that's why I run the front plate. It's ugly, but at least I don't have to worry about being stopped. It's the law, nothing I can do about it so I just roll with it.

Though, our Mach has never had a front plate on it in the 11 years we have owned it and never once been stopped for no front plate on it. I think it really comes down the department and the individual officer.

03MachMe
03-15-2013, 10:47 AM
If a cop really wants to pull you over he will find a reason. I can follow any car for less than a few min and they will make some kind of mistake. No front plate just makes it happen sooner lol

DirtyD
03-15-2013, 11:21 AM
My friend and I both got stopped last night in Houston. Both got no frpnt plate ticketa and illegal tires both had brand new et streets. They just told us tell it to the judge.
et streets are technically street tires, are they not? so that's doesn't seem like a valid point.

If a cop really wants to pull you over he will find a reason. I can follow any car for less than a few min and they will make some kind of mistake. No front plate just makes it happen sooner lol
I was doing 80 on I30 through downtown FW last night, and then noticed a FWPD officer in the lane next to me a couple of cars back. Thought to myself, "Oh Shit.", slowed down to about 70, he pulled behind me and I watched him run my plates. after about 20-25 seconds, he exited for I35 south. Guess one ticket was fine with him for not giving me another. :peace:

zemog255
03-16-2013, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=DirtyD;22322]et streets are technically street tires, are they not? so that's doesn't seem like a valid point.

QUOTE]

No neither of them even looked. They just wrote the ticket up. I got stopped again on the way back for no front plate again this time a DPS he just gave me a warning though. Im putting that ugly thing back on lol.My friend following me got stopped in his C6 and was given a ticket for tinted tail lights and speeding. He walked to the front of his car and he doesn't have a front plate but he didn't write him up for that.

pohnjarker
03-17-2013, 05:02 AM

wow, that's lazy ass "police" work.

to be told to tell it to the judge when you dont know what you're doing...pathetic. i have great respect for cops but this type of "police" work does nothing but clog up the system with bullshit.

OG Fox
03-18-2013, 04:51 AM
screw front license plates.

Jucostud
03-18-2013, 10:31 PM
i won't be putting one on my new bumper.

KnightRider5.0
03-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Any news on the status of this bill? I've had to deal with this crap for over 3 years and would love to not have a front plate.

MnemonicGhost
03-19-2013, 12:37 AM
Have you written your representative? That would really help.

Looks like it's still in committee review:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Actions.aspx?LegSess=83R&Bill=HB657

zemog255
03-19-2013, 05:58 PM

I assume this doesn't matter but I figured I may as well ask. I can't find anywhere where the cop signed the ticket he also got my age wrong. Will that help me avoid dealing with this? I'm still waiting on the ticket to process. I don't live in houston and don't want to go down there to deal with it. If the judge decides to be a jerk also.

03MachMe
03-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Not sure about the pd that gave you the ticket but we don't sign the ticket just the violator. And is your age or date of birth wrong

zemog255
03-19-2013, 09:00 PM
It has a spot where it says officer name: and he left it blank. He had the DOB right just wrote the age wrong. He filled every other little thing out, just thought maybe he knew what he was doing about the tires was BS and this would just cause me alittle hassle.