PDA

View Full Version : Tire & Wheel Help

J.Shoot
03-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Ok, I know this topic has been around the forums but I'm going to look for a couple of specific questions.
These are for my 2013 Boss 302.
I am wanting to go from 19" wheels to 20" so I can get a drag radial for the car. I will also have to go to a 10" wide wheel. With that being said I am looking for tire suggestions as well.
I am currently looking at the following:
Nitto 555R
Mickey Thompson Drag Radial

If you have experience with these I would like to hear what you think. The car is not a daily driver, I will only take it to the track every now and then, so it will primarily just be used on the street. The car is not stock and needs a little better (bigger) tire to hook up.

I'm wanting to go with a 305-35-20. If I could find one of these to fit my 19" stock wheels I would consider it, but I haven't been able to locate any.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
J.Shoot

BlueBolt
03-11-2013, 10:16 AM
The nitto 555r will last longer but the Mickey Thompson will hook better. You can get the Mickey Thompson et street 2 in a 305/35/19 and nitto now list the nt05 in 305/35/19 (another option for drag radial)

NT05 in 19
http://mobile.nittotire.com/tires/nt05r/specs?wd=19&x=6&y=15

MT ET Steet II in 19
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialII&sku=3723R&size=P305/35R19&type=SS&bnr=y

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 10:25 AM
I've got the the Nitto 305/35/20 Drag radials on my car, the only difference is I have them on a 11 inch wheel. They hook up great for me at my current power level and I've got a buddy who is making 740rw who likes them as well.

On my 11 inch wheel, they don't bulge at all on the sidewalls, they might on a 10 inch wheel.

Here is a view of the tires :

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8462/7919037966_5ddb642c14_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8317/7919037450_5fabeaba75_b.jpg

pohnjarker
03-11-2013, 10:35 AM
the Nitto 555 is not a drag radial

the Nitto NT05R is a drag radial but doesnt hook as well as the mickey thompson drag radials from what ive heard.

i have a 315 NT05 on a 10" rim, which is also not a drag radial but hooks pretty damn good and will outlast the MT

BlueBolt
03-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Steve- thanks for that pic. I'm considering going wih the nt05 305/35/19 on my my car when they come out but wasn't sure if they'd be stretched. And are you on sportlines or coilovers?

Pohnjarker- the nitto 555 isn't a drag radial but the 555r is. It's the original nitto DR.

Phuck Phace
03-11-2013, 11:15 AM
I run the 555R in a 305/35/20 on a 20x11 and they didn't hook well for me. Switching to MT street radials next.

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Steve- thanks for that pic. I'm considering going wih the nt05 305/35/19 on my my car when they come out but wasn't sure if they'd be stretched. And are you on sportlines or coilovers?

Pohnjarker- the nitto 555 isn't a drag radial but the 555r is. It's the original nitto DR.

Sportlines.

Something to keep in mind though. Many people complain about about Nitto's not hooking well for them, but it's usually due to the owner not getting enough heat into them with a long burnout. The Nitto's are a slightly harder compound than say a MickeyThompson tire. They intentionally made them that way so that owners would get longer wear out of them on the street but they will DEAD HOOK with a proper burnout and air pressure.

The M/T's hook really well, but they don't last for shit. The rear quarters and the the rest of the underside of the car will be covered in rubber, if you don't wipe it off it will harden and it's a bitch to get off. Plus, they throw rocks like crazy and don't handle water well at all. A friend of mine wrecked his car driving on MT's because the city left the sprinklers on watering the street, spun out and hit the pole.

The MT's will work great though if you are running them for the track only on a extra set of wheels though. The last pair of MT's I had I broke an axle with them. lol.

BlueBolt
03-11-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm not super worried about hooking as I'm basically stock for now but I like the taller sidewall than my invos at 305/30/19. And the nt05r has to hook better than my invos. Lol

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm not super worried about hooking as I'm basically stock for now but I like the taller sidewall than my invos at 305/30/19. And the nt05r has to hook better than my invos. Lol

Invo's are high priced junk. They just get greasy when they get hot. The great thing about Invo's is the numerous sizes they have and the high speed ratings.

Midnight11
03-11-2013, 11:43 AM
i think im gonna go 305s when my rears go out

pohnjarker
03-11-2013, 12:11 PM

damn, dont know how i missed that "R" at the end, it was capitalized and all. my bad.

IMO, i think the NT05R is a great compromise with the MTs since they do better with water and last longer...more of a "daily driver" DR.

BlueBolt
03-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Invo's are high priced junk. They just get greasy when they get hot. The great thing about Invo's is the numerous sizes they have and the high speed ratings.

Agree.

46Tbird
03-11-2013, 03:26 PM
I run the 305/35-20 Nitto DR on 20x10 Shelby wheels and Sportlines.

They work okay, but I've never heard anyone say any Nitto DR will "dead hook" under any situation. My car is still stock and I have to baby it out of the hole, even with good track prep, even with good heat, even at 18psi. My 60s are in the mid-high 1.8s, with a best 1.84. Suspension changes would definitely make an improvement, I want to get this car down into the consistent mid 1.7s this year on the 20s and I think it will do it.

Here's a pic of the tire pooge and some timeslips.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/46Tbird/2012%20GT/mustangpic.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/46Tbird/timeslips2.jpg

JDBishopArts
03-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Yeah it depends on what you mean by "hook". No 20" tire will "hook". Not enough sidewall. It will "hook" better with a NT05R or ET. Never been impressed with the 555R.

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Oh come on guys. There are other people out there running high 9's on a 20 inch DR. lol.

46Tbird
03-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Oh come on guys. There are other people out there running high 9's on a 20 inch DR. lol.

Sweet. When you gonna get that show car out to the track to show everyone how it's done? :troll3:

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Sweet. When you gonna get that show car out to the track to show everyone how it's done? :troll3:

The track? Meh. I don't really care about the track anymore. I might go on occasion but this is just fun street car for me mostly. It will hook and run just fine on the street. :favorites37:

46Tbird
03-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Aw man, I was really hoping to see some dead hooking Nittos.

Midnight11
03-11-2013, 05:11 PM
The track? Meh. I don't really care about the track anymore. I might go on occasion but this is just fun street car for me mostly. It will hook and run just fine on the street. :favorites37:

:lewx4: :gayflag:

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 05:24 PM

They hook on the street just fine, thank you. If you made it out to GTG's regularly you could find out for yourself, but you rather flake out.

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 05:26 PM
:lewx4: :gayflag:

Pipe down boy toy.

46Tbird
03-11-2013, 05:47 PM
They hook on the street just fine, thank you. If you made it out to GTG's regularly you could find out for yourself, but you rather flake out.
Flake out? Seems funny to me that you won't get anywhere near a track out of fear of being as slow as the people you make fun of. I'd probably make it to more "meets" if it involved something more than standing around in a parking lot, playing fake golf, getting drunk in a bar, or watching MMA on PPV. Anytime you have a car GTG and everyone there has a cold engine, you're doing it wrong.

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Flake out? Seems funny to me that you won't get anywhere near a track out of fear of being as slow as the people you make fun of. I'd probably make it to more "meets" if it involved something more than standing around in a parking lot, playing fake golf, getting drunk in a bar, or watching MMA on PPV. Anytime you have a car GTG and everyone there has a cold engine, you're doing it wrong.

LOL, right. That's exactly why I don't go to the track. Gimme a break. hahahaha. Sorry Danny, been there , done that. I spent many, many weekends at the trackfor years racing, breaking shit and wasting tons of time/money all in the pursuit of magical ET numbers that at the end of the day mean nothing. I've been faster in a daily street stang than you have ever been.I apologize if my boredom with it offends you. haha. When the group track event comes about, I will be there to have a good time like usual. But I'm not going to go out of my way to the track just to get some ET slips to impress you. lol. I frankly just don't have time with a wife, a daughter and another one on the way to waste every weekend being a track whore. I also have other hobbies as you well know that take up my rare free time. I have to pick and choose what to do with my time.

As far as the other GTG's it seems to me everyone else has a good time so it must be you who that can't seem to lighten up just to have fun. I'm not a fan of "bar" gtg's myself but I still go when I can (and I don't drink either) to have a good time with the group as long as it's not one of those nasty smoke filled places. Top Golf was really fun, you're just being a Negative Nancy there. It's golf and a video game smashed together. It's actually fun.

If it's hanging out in a parking lot, at Top Golf or some restaraunt watching a UFC or whatever else, it's fun because it's an exuse together to have a good timewith the group building friendships and that is what it's all about. It's too bad for you can't lighten up to enjoy the expeirence because you're missing out on some good people. Maybe you should just stick to long road trip vacations with other men. lol.

46Tbird
03-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Aw, my mistake, I thought this was the Performance forum of a car website, not the fucking vagina monologues.

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Aw, my mistake, I thought this was the Performance forum of a car website, not the fucking vagina monologues.

It is. There is quite abit of performance stuff going on here. You're too busy being negative or making judgements to attend events to take part.

Now run along now, back to the track by yourself to rip off yet another record setting 7.9 for the 100th time. Be sure make room in your glovebox for your tampons next to those magical timeslips. lmao!

46Tbird
03-11-2013, 08:01 PM
It is. There is quite abit of performance stuff going on here. You're too busy being negative or making judgements to attend events to take part.
Oh that's right, there are lots of posts of you busting your buddys' balls after they pop their engines in their quest for more performance. But you yourself don't really have anything to add here, because this is the Performance forum, and as you say you don't care about the track anymore.

Maybe they should add a "Let Me Tell You Youngsters 'Bout How I Used'ta Run 9s" forum or a "Let Me Tell You Youngsters 'Bout How I Used to Be a JKD Master" forum, or a "Let Me Tell You Youngsters 'Bout How I Bowled a 300" forum. At least then you'll have some relevant info to add.

Now run along now, back to the track by yourself to rip off yet another record setting 7.9 for the 100th time. Be sure make room in your glovebox for your tampons next to those magical timeslips. lmao!
That's funny. I have dozens of photos of me with friends at the various tracks, but I've never seen you at one. The people I go with are cool but I don't name drop in every post like you do (how many times are you gonna mention you know Junkie anyway?). And finally, I added timeslips to show real-world results of using the specific product the OP asked about. This is the Performance forum, remember? Summer is coming soon, run along now and get your bikini line back into shape.

STROKD
03-11-2013, 08:15 PM

my nittos dead hook... ask Steve. Put it does have 10 grand in the suspension...:secret:

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Oh that's right, there are lots of posts of you busting your buddys' balls after they pop their engines in their quest for more performance. But you yourself don't really have anything to add here, because this is the Performance forum, and as you say you don't care about the track anymore.

Maybe they should add a "Let Me Tell You Youngsters 'Bout How I Used'ta Run 9s" forum or a "Let Me Tell You Youngsters 'Bout How I Used to Be a JKD Master" forum, or a "Let Me Tell You Youngsters 'Bout How I Bowled a 300" forum. At least then you'll have some relevant info to add.

That's funny. I have dozens of photos of me with friends at the various tracks, but I've never seen you at one. The people I go with are cool but I don't name drop in every post like you do (how many times are you gonna mention you know Junkie anyway?). And finally, I added timeslips to show real-world results of using the specific product the OP asked about. This is the Performance forum, remember? Summer is coming soon, run along now and get your bikini line back into shape.

If you hung out with this group at all, you'd realize that everyone busts eachothers balls for everything, doesn't matter what it is, but it's lighthearted in nature. Like me referring to the "flake" comment you made to this whole group and joking with you about flaking. lol.

And since when is performance only in regards to the track only? Is track data the only data that counts because that is what is important to you?

Btw, I know Junkie....and a lot of other fast guys. :troll3:

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 08:20 PM
my nittos dead hook... ask Steve. Put it does have 10 grand in the suspension...:secret:

Hell yeah. It makes LOUD noises too that scared the shit out of both of us - BOOM! But that didn't happen at the track, so it's not performance that counts. lmao.

46Tbird
03-11-2013, 08:47 PM
If you hung out with this group at all, you'd realize that everyone busts eachothers balls for everything, doesn't matter what it is, but it's lighthearted in nature.

You think I don't know that? What do you think I've been doing the whole thread?

:troll3:

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 08:49 PM
You think I don't know that? What do you think I've been doing the whole thread?

:troll3:

So, when we gonna race? :deal:

Dark Pony
03-11-2013, 08:53 PM

I want in :batman2:

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 09:32 PM
I want in :batman2:

Thats creepy..

46Tbird
03-11-2013, 09:41 PM

Anytime. But I don't do Class B Misdemeanors, so it will be at a track.

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Anytime. But I don't do Class B Misdemeanors, so it will be at a track.

Ugh..the tracks are at least an hour or more away from me. Screw that. lol

46Tbird
03-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Me too. If you can scrounge together a whole day to knock dicks with a bunch of guys at a dyno day, you can set aside a day for the track.

GrabberMatt
03-11-2013, 10:03 PM
lol, nice one Tbird
Steve: Crandall has to be closer than an hour away from Wylie! I made it in about 45 mins from Prosper. What do you have done to your 5.sl0w?

Toby
03-11-2013, 10:16 PM
mt all the way. i am personally a hater of nitto tires. every set i have run wouldnt hook for shit.

Grandpa
03-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Me too. If you can scrounge together a whole day to knock dicks with a bunch of guys at a dyno day, you can set aside a day for the track.

I will do that after I get some of this stuff bolted on. No point in wasting a day at the track and spending the money to race slow cars.

lol, nice one Tbird
Steve: Crandall has to be closer than an hour away from Wylie! I made it in about 45 mins from Prosper. What do you have done to your 5.sl0w?

Crandall is about 45-60 minutes depending on traffic. I don't have anything done to it yet. But I've got a bunch of parts laying around here I've been waiting on TS's dyno time to open up again. Jeff and David have been keeping the guys at TS busy! lol.

J.Shoot
03-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Ok, didn't mean to start a war......
I have the stock 285-35-19 Pirelli P Zero's on the car, surely the nitto's will hook better than them!!!!!
I've run MT drag radials on another car and they were great for hooking up but didn't last long and did make a mess on the car.....

J.shoot

GrabberMatt
03-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Steve: I'm nearly stock if you wanna run some before/afters (mods.)
I have family in Murphy so I venture down that way every now and then.

Dark Pony
03-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Steve, I did a V6 swap. Lets roll.

GrabberMatt
03-11-2013, 10:32 PM
That's some good weight reduction right there.

Dark Pony
03-11-2013, 10:34 PM
That's some good weight reduction right there.

V6 swap with a special edition Homelite leaf blower. Fast as shit.

Grandpa
03-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Ok, didn't mean to start a war......
I have the stock 285-35-19 Pirelli P Zero's on the car, surely the nitto's will hook better than them!!!!!
I've run MT drag radials on another car and they were great for hooking up but didn't last long and did make a mess on the car.....

J.shoot

You're fine bro. Don't mind the BS. There is always at least one bad apple in a bunch. lol

Steve: I'm nearly stock if you wanna run some before/afters (mods.)
I have family in Murphy so I venture down that way every now and then.

LS1 stock? lol

Steve, I did a V6 swap. Lets roll.

Okay. But I want 10 and the wiggle.

STROKD
03-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Steve if you dont want to waste your gas, Ill run Grabber Matt in the ls1 stock Vette... Im up to dragging another grabber blue 5.0 down the road.:laughing1:

04sleeper
03-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Yeah it depends on what you mean by "hook". No 20" tire will "hook". Not enough sidewall.
Don't tell that to Chris. 20" wheels. NTO5'R's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtu6Cm9b5PM

Or Jake Long. 245-45-17's on factory 17 X 8" rims. 555R's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRJh4GJwtwg

blownaltered
03-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Ugh..the tracks are at least an hour or more away from me. Screw that. lol

Dude redline is less than a 30 minute drive. :snoopfacepalm:

Grandpa
03-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Dude redline is less than a 30 minute drive. :snoopfacepalm:

Still bleh..the track is fuckin boring unless the group is going. I'm not interested in paying $25 bucks to sit in line all night long to maybe get a two or three passes in a slow car.

Zeek
03-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Steve if you dont want to waste your gas, Ill run Grabber Matt in the ls1 stock Vette... Im up to dragging another grabber blue 5.0 down the road.:laughing1:

I wouldnt call it dragging........noone in our cars it would be close. And if hes got any mods hed proly beat you Matt

GrabberMatt
03-13-2013, 04:44 AM
Coldair with restrictor in place and flows, stock ecu. What am I up against here?

46Tbird
03-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Still bleh..the track is fuckin boring unless the group is going. I'm not interested in paying $25 bucks to sit in line all night long to maybe get a two or three passes in a slow car.

More boring than sitting in a heated suite while watching other people hit golf balls and drink?

My, how times have changed, lmfao.

STROKD
03-13-2013, 09:17 AM
I wouldnt call it dragging........noone in our cars it would be close. And if hes got any mods hed proly beat you Matt

My math is off I guess... Me with passenger I lose qtr car, you with passenger I win by 4 cars... Half of that would be 2 cars? You're a great driver, I dunno this dude...

Regardless I'm down to give it a go if he's stock(ish).

STROKD
03-13-2013, 09:23 AM
More boring than sitting in a heated suite while watching other people hit golf balls and drink?

It wasn't a heated suite really... Just not as cold as the open side.

I think Steve wants to run on the motorspeedways, not that he prefers Top Golf to racing. I agree, going to the track sucks, but everyone knows I don't care about racing from a stop (much). Waiting forever to run half a track(eigth mile) and spin violently from street cars dragging water to the line is annoying. Now racing at an event is fun like a bracket or heads up class event for money (Extreme 7.0 for instance, I'm very interested in this), but test and tune is lame unless you are tuning or testing a new mod out. Racing a slow unchanged combo over and over is pretty unexciting.

46Tbird
03-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Don't read too much into it, I'm just rattling his cage.

STROKD
03-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Coldair with restrictor in place and flows, stock ecu. What am I up against here?

Stock C5 hardtop, ls6 intake and mufflers. Runs low 8s in eigth, no sandbagging. Zeek and I ran one night, very close races. He has video somewhere.

Grandpa
03-13-2013, 09:49 AM

:burnout:

:angels25:

What can I say, I'm laid back like that. lol.
My math is off I guess... Me with passenger I lose qtr car, you with passenger I win by 4 cars... Half of that would be 2 cars? You're a great driver, I dunno this dude...

Regardless I'm down to give it a go if he's stock(ish).

Racer math? :facepalm:
It wasn't a heated suite really... Just not as cold as the open side.

I think Steve wants to run on the motorspeedways, not that he prefers Top Golf to racing. I agree, going to the track sucks, but everyone knows I don't care about racing from a stop (much). Waiting forever to run half a track(eigth mile) and spin violently from street cars dragging water to the line is annoying. Now racing at an event is fun like a bracket or heads up class event for money (Extreme 7.0 for instance, I'm very interested in this), but test and tune is lame unless you are tuning or testing a new mod out. Racing a slow unchanged combo over and over is pretty unexciting.

Agreed completely. Sitting in line for hours is laaaaaaaaaaaame. At least at Top Golf you can hang out with friends BS'n, good food/drinks and hit a few golf balls for fun. :)

Don't read too much into it, I'm just rattling his cage.

You think after 11 years on DFWM YOU are rattling my cage? lmao. Hardly.
Stock C5 hardtop, ls6 intake and mufflers. Runs low 8s in eigth, no sandbagging. Zeek and I ran one night, very close races. He has video somewhere.

I told you, Zeek can't drive. You should race Danny. He is the King of racing stock cars. He can rip off 7.9's over and over and over and over and over and over again..:signs8:

GrabberMatt
03-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Were the Zeek runs from a dig or roll? what kinda tires?
I'm game if Steve goes too :favorites13:
it's for fun who cares

46Tbird
03-13-2013, 10:07 AM
You should race Danny. He is the King of racing stock cars. He can rip off 7.9's over and over and over and over and over and over again..:signs8:

I agree, I can do that and you can't.

Grandpa
03-13-2013, 10:18 AM
I agree, I can do that and you can't.

True, it's kind of hard to do that without going to the track which I have no intentions of doing anytime soon. lol

JDBishopArts
03-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Don't tell that to Chris. 20" wheels. NTO5'R's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtu6Cm9b5PM

Or Jake Long. 245-45-17's on factory 17 X 8" rims. 555R's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRJh4GJwtwg

I didn't say you couldn't go fast. If either of those drivers were running slicks or even a thicker sidewall DR they would have gone faster. Sure, drivers make a huge difference. I cut a 1.6 60' with my NT05's at a prepped track. The nitto's are going to be better than a summer tire but you still can't "hook up" with 400hp on 20's on the street. Unless you have some serious suspension and driving skills. You know what I'm saying, the thicker the sidewall the more grip you're going to get.

STROKD
03-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Were the Zeek runs from a dig or roll? what kinda tires?
I'm game if Steve goes too :favorites13:
it's for fun who cares

He was on stock 235 18s, 40 and 50 rolls neither of us spun at all or missed any gears.

Matt, youtube search "5.0 vs FRC" its the first 3 videos.. When it was close I had passenger, when it wasn't Zeek had passenger.

GrabberMatt
03-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Cool ill check them out tonight, I have an ls1 goat interested as well but hes only free on weekends
Are you going to InNOut?

GrabberMatt
03-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Ps FRC helps, what do those weigh again?

STROKD
03-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Ps FRC helps, what do those weigh again?

My 99 weighed 3265 with me in it on stock wheels... This one is a loaded 2k with large HREs on it. I'm guessing 3335-3360ish.

Doug1227
03-13-2013, 09:22 PM
I cut 1.6's on my 17" MT's and plan on doing the same at some point on my 19" MT's (albeit a different car).... BUT that's at the track with a burnout. On the street, they won't dead hook cold, but they do hook a LOT better than street tires and are quiet when they spin which is a plus. The cost and wear is a negative, but I only run them during the warmer months, so they'll last a couple of years probably.

GrabberMatt
03-14-2013, 03:55 PM
I was shocked at the difference the passenger swap made on the FRC vs 5.0 vids

STROKD
03-14-2013, 07:51 PM
I was shocked at the difference the passenger swap made on the FRC vs 5.0 vids

we were too... weight makes a huge difference, even at speed... power to weight ratio... makes more change in a slower car obviously since the ptw ratio is effected more.

Jucostud
03-18-2013, 11:47 PM
didn't read the whole thread... read a few comments about people hating on the nitto invo's. The invo's handle and ride amazing. They aren't made for straight line grip. The invo's are the best tire i've had on my car.