PDA

View Full Version : Might as well try my luck: job searching

brtnstrns
02-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Seems like people are getting good responses here so I figure I will try my hand as well. I'm generally an entry-level aerospace engineer (graduated in May 2011 from The University of Texas at Austin). I've been working at Zodiac Seats US (previously Weber Aircraft) in Gainesville. Well, I didn't exactly study aerospace engineering to build or design fancy furniture so I'm trying to move on to something more aerospace related. I've got a couple of connections at Bell Helicopter I've been trying to work with for the past 6-8 months but its pretty slow moving.

I'm definitely a hands-on kind of engineer, but have an equal interest in design as well (spend most of my day modifying drawings in ProE). I'm definitely flexible and am able to learn software and processes fairly quickly. I really don't want to end up typecasted into airplane interiors since I've wanted to be an aerospace engineer since I was a toddler for the purpose of in one way or another being involved in the design of aircraft or their components. I definitely need to stay in the DFW area since my fiance is also an engineer at a wind energy company in central Dallas.

If anyone has any connections at aerospace companies, I'll gladly take any advice given to me. I'm really ready to move on to a more challenging engineering experience and feel that I've got some good experiences under my belt involving both manufacturing and design.

Sorry to add another redundant thread, but I figure it's worth a shot! Thanks guys!

DirtyD
02-27-2013, 11:00 PM
I might see if a guy I know from my F150 days might have a lead at Lockheed.

Unfortunately, I think the economy really hit the the aero industry the most, especially engineers. Nobody really wants new planes right now, just fox the old ones until everything else is fixed. -__-

brtnstrns
02-27-2013, 11:38 PM
I might see if a guy I know from my F150 days might have a lead at Lockheed.

Unfortunately, I think the economy really hit the the aero industry the most, especially engineers. Nobody really wants new planes right now, just fox the old ones until everything else is fixed. -__-

Yeah, the industry is definitely crazy. But it's been that way since the beginning. Lockheed is so incredibly competitive that I don't really even attempt to look at them anymore (I was definitely not a top of the class type student). Obviously, it would be totally awesome to work for Lockheed, but they tend to lean towards people that graduated with crazy GPAs and tons of internship experience. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of those students.

BlueBolt
02-28-2013, 12:13 AM
If you're interested in a nuke plant we've hired aerospace guys in the past. One of my co-workers is an aerospace eng from A&M.

Zeek
02-28-2013, 04:01 AM
Try L-3 communications in Greenville Tx the pay is good! I worked there for about a year.

brtnstrns
02-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Try L-3 communications in Greenville Tx the pay is good! I worked there for about a year.

I've thought about that before. Unfortunately, Greenville is a little too far out for me. I'm trying to reduce my commute some.

JDBishopArts
02-28-2013, 10:27 AM
I'd keep trying Lockheed. Also Bell Helicopter. There are also a TON of aviation/aerospace companies in Addison. I drive by them all the time. I'll get some names of places if I pass again.

DirtyD
02-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Yeah, the industry is definitely crazy. But it's been that way since the beginning. Lockheed is so incredibly competitive that I don't really even attempt to look at them anymore (I was definitely not a top of the class type student). Obviously, it would be totally awesome to work for Lockheed, but they tend to lean towards people that graduated with crazy GPAs and tons of internship experience. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of those students.
Honestly, the way I see it, I would rather hire and engineer that still has some to learn but already has people skills and is a book worm when it comes to design. I know a lot of the higher GPA CEs I went to school with that will most likely end up doing strictly research either academically or in the field. To me, someone that is more practical, even if less to offer on the smarts said, is more useful because they can actually think broadly, instead of "this is what I learned in school, so it's the only truth" type mentality. Those types of engineers tend to look to far into the theory, and not in a broad enough perspective.

DirtyD
02-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Check this site as well.

http://www.d-fwmall.com/aerospace.htm

I spoke with my firend I mentioned earlier, and he just said to check the public job listings that Lockheed posts on their website.

brtnstrns
02-28-2013, 10:36 AM
I'd keep trying Lockheed. Also Bell Helicopter. There are also a TON of aviation/aerospace companies in Addison. I drive by them all the time. I'll get some names of places if I pass again.

That would be great! I'd love to get some names of smaller companies that aren't as easy to find!

Honestly, the way I see it, I would rather hire and engineer that still has some to learn but already has people skills and is a book worm when it comes to design. I know a lot of the higher GPA CEs I went to school with that will most likely end up doing strictly research either academically or in the field. To me, someone that is more practical, even if less to offer on the smarts said, is more useful because they can actually think broadly, instead of "this is what I learned in school, so it's the only truth" type mentality. Those types of engineers tend to look to far into the theory, and not in a broad enough perspective.

That's good to know and that's definitely the type of engineer that I am. Most of the guys I studied with and college just did engineering because they were good at math. I did engineering because I've always worked on the things I own by myself and like getting my hands dirty. I wasn't the best at regurgitating information onto a test (I also wasn't horrible - I never got a D or anything, just wasn't a straight A student), but I'm pretty damn good at applying what I learn practically and thinking about design problems with the operator or assembler in mind, since that's how I personally work on my own property.

DirtyD
02-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Check Vaught Aircraft too. I friend from college's dad works there.