PDA

View Full Version : Plastidip anyone?

[h]Ax
02-20-2013, 08:03 PM
I've been calling around getting different prices and etc for doing vinyl on my roof/hood.

Was thinking about getting a gun and doing some experimenting with plastidip.

Anyone messed with it before?

It seems there are trade-off's to both. Plastidip only lasts about 2 years max, vs about 5 years with vinyl. Plastidip can look like shit if not sprayed correctly (which goes with any kind of paint). I think it would chip away faster from rocks/etc.

But the really big tradeoff is it doesn't cost hundreds of dollars to just peel off and redo. Cost and time-invested is minimal.

DirtyD
02-20-2013, 08:07 PM
IDK about spraying plastidip through a gun.....but it could easily be done to cover the roof. Shoot, there are many people with their entire hoods covered.

Just make sure to mask of some areas good to avoid overspray, and lay it on THICK. The thicker it is, the better it stands up to UV and the longer it will last. Plus it will be easier to take off when you have to redo it.

My STILLEN chin spoiler is holding up fine in PD.

[h]Ax
02-20-2013, 08:16 PM
IDK about spraying plastidip through a gun.....but it could easily be done to cover the roof. Shoot, there are many people with their entire hoods covered.

Just make sure to mask of some areas good to avoid overspray, and lay it on THICK. The thicker it is, the better it stands up to UV and the longer it will last. Plus it will be easier to take off when you have to redo it.

My STILLEN chin spoiler is holding up fine in PD.

Apparently this gun is good for handling large quantities of plastidip.

Wagner Control Double Sprayer (http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-0518050-Control-Double-Sprayer/dp/B001JEPEES)

There are some guys on youtube (dipyourcar.com) that show some how-to vids.

Sock
02-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Never seen it in person.

03MachMe
02-21-2013, 08:37 PM
I have done my wing and lower rear valence until I can get a GT500 wing and either boss or GT500 rear valence

BlueBolt
02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Tried on my trunk (between taillights) the other day. I'm terrible with a rattle can though and it had runs. Going to try again soon.

DirtyD
02-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Tried on my trunk (between taillights) the other day. I'm terrible with a rattle can though and it had runs. Going to try again soon.

Make sure you aren't spraying too slow and too close.

RedRaider5.0
02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
I have my badges done and did my wheels on my previous mustang. My wheels were done about a year ago when I traded her in and they were still going strong. I orginally did them just see if I liked having black wheels, I think this is a good reason to use plastidip...try it out to see if you like your car that color. I liked them and figured I would just wait for them to fade or get scratched, but that never happened.

Dan12GT
02-22-2013, 05:41 PM
I've done the badges and the faux gas cap on the trunk on my car. I've also done my brothers grille on his jeep. The great thing about platidip is its ease of use. If it looks bad peal it off and start again. You can try it out with a few cans to see how it looks. If you aren't satisfied a gun may look better.

BlueBolt
02-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Make sure you aren't spraying too slow and too close.

I started further out but it didn't seem like it was going to cover completely so I went closer and screwed it up.

DirtyD
02-22-2013, 09:58 PM
I started further out but it didn't seem like it was going to cover completely so I went closer and screwed it up.

Stay at least 6-8" away from what you are spraying at all times.