anyone have any experience with one? looking at one for a dd this weekend

What draws you to this car? Just curious

Midnight11
02-20-2013, 09:04 PM
I looked Derek not a happening section lol

And mpg, cheap and it's a 2door hatch.

PLASMAN
02-20-2013, 09:17 PM
It would be a good DD, buddy had one and it was reliable and zippy. And it is a SVT.

Check the rotors and cv joint good as well as clutch engagement/ exhaust system for corrosion and deterioration.

Grandpa
02-20-2013, 10:02 PM
http://www.focusfanatics.com/

Midnight11
02-20-2013, 10:36 PM
thanks

Dark Pony
02-20-2013, 10:40 PM
They are pretty cool cars. The only reason why I ask, is I loved my VW. Some people don't like them, but I loved mine. A 2000-2003 TDI can be had for around the same price as that Focus and get double the gas mileage.

Midnight11
02-20-2013, 10:40 PM
They are pretty cool cars. The only reason why I ask, is I loved my VW. Some people don't like them, but I loved mine. A 2000-2003 TDI can be had for around the same price as that Focus and get double the gas mileage.

i fall under the hate lol

parts for vw are $$ too

DirtyD
02-20-2013, 10:43 PM
TDIs are beast. It takes some money to make them fast, much more compared to a 1.8T or 2.0T, but straight piped and blowing smoke from a car is fun as hell. My cousin had one, and he got up to 45-46 on the highway, 30s in the city.

Dark Pony
02-20-2013, 10:45 PM
i fall under the hate lol

parts for vw are $$ too

Well that Focus wouldn't be a bad daily!

Grandpa
02-20-2013, 10:45 PM
A friend of mine is a VW tech and has told me on numerous occasions to never buy a VW out of warranty.

I buy/sell cars for extra cash all the time. Let me know what you want in a car, what your budget is and I will help you find a car.

Midnight11
02-20-2013, 10:46 PM
Well that Focus wouldn't be a bad daily!

im trying to make it happen but i doubt it...

Midnight11
02-20-2013, 10:47 PM
A friend of mine is a VW tech and has told me on numerous occasions to never buy a VW out of warranty.

I buy/sell cars for extra cash all the time. Let me know what you want in a car, what your budget is and I will help you find a car.

i want the car i sent you and was gonna offer 4 for it...

Dark Pony
02-20-2013, 10:48 PM
TDIs are beast. It takes some money to make them fast, much more compared to a 1.8T or 2.0T, but straight piped and blowing smoke from a car is fun as hell. My cousin had one, and he got up to 45-46 on the highway, 30s in the city.

I put $2k in my 1.8T and it ran 13.9 on street tires and was one of the most comfortable and reliable cars I've ever owned. I remember very vividly getting my ass handed to me by a TDI and thinking to myself a 130HP Golf just beat me...lol...while getting 40+mpg.

Grandpa
02-20-2013, 10:48 PM
i want the car i sent you and was gonna offer 4 for it...

Get me the VIN on it.

Midnight11
02-20-2013, 10:51 PM
Get me the VIN on it.

ill get it tomorrow for you

Grandpa
02-20-2013, 10:57 PM
http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/3615463462.html <---this one looks nice. Take cash and play hardball.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/3506010417.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3573670015.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/3570844681.html

Midnight11
02-20-2013, 10:58 PM
seen the dallas ones. they are all garbage looking compared to the yellow

Dark Pony
02-20-2013, 10:59 PM

Do you know much about the reliability of BMW's around the 2000-2004 range? I know one person who had one that old, and it's a tank.

03MachMe
02-20-2013, 11:15 PM
I have been looking at those focuses for a daily here lately as well.

Midnight11
02-20-2013, 11:22 PM
Better not get the one I want lol

Grandpa
02-20-2013, 11:31 PM
Do you know much about the reliability of BMW's around the 2000-2004 range? I know one person who had one that old, and it's a tank.

Yeah. BMW's are another car in my opinion you don't want to buy out of warranty and/or high mileage. They have sensors for sensors (no joke, typical german engineering) and they tend to go for $200-500 bucks a piece. It's a crap shoot with BMW, if you can find one that has service records with a solid history, low mileage then you can drive it for awhile, but don't plan on keeping it past 90k-100k miles. Toanswer your question simply - stay away from BMW's in the 2k-4k range unless you are okay with regular repairs and idiot lights going off all the time.

In my expierence, you can't go wrong with Toyotas for basic transportation, especially the trucks. They routinely will go 300k+ miles plus if they have been cared for properly.

Acura's are good cars, the TL's always sell quickly because they are nice cars, good power and resell well. But theft can be an issue.

Sport compacts are going to be tricky because they are cheap enough for the kids to own and beat on and the theft rate is really high on them. This is especially true on anything Honda related.

Midnight11
02-20-2013, 11:35 PM
buy this focus and lease it to me haha

DirtyD
02-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Too bad a lot of the Tacos I looked at in my price range are complete junk.

But I may have found a Ranger that I might go after this weekend. It's a steal for what it is. Not super pretty, but has the ability to be.

Grandpa
02-20-2013, 11:42 PM

But I may have found a Ranger that I might go after this weekend. It's a steal for what it is. Not super pretty, but has the ability to be.

Tacos are a lil pricier, but they are worth the money because they will last forever. Awesome trucks that can really take a beating.

I've always had two Nissan Hardbody trucks and they were great lil trucks as well.

Rangers are great too! The 4cyl trucks are gutless, but they will run forever. If you buy one with an auto, be sure to check the fluid in the trans to make sure the trans has been serviced.

Grandpa
02-20-2013, 11:43 PM

I'll help you find something if you want. :)

DirtyD
02-20-2013, 11:45 PM
I'm looking at 5 spds. After talking to many people that have driven them as DDs on traffic, they aren't as bad as I thought they'd be (learned to drive a stock on my grandpas F150 V6 with 4wd and 3.55s)

I'm hoping this Ranger I found pans out. I can afford it right now, and it seems to be solid.

Going to test fit the Brembo wheels on it. :D

DirtyD
02-20-2013, 11:49 PM
I'll help you find something if you want. :)

Trust me, I got paid $25/hr to do nothing but search CL at work today looking for trucks from OKC down to Brownsville. Haha

Grandpa
02-20-2013, 11:51 PM
Trust me, I got paid $25/hr to do nothing but search CL at work today looking for trucks from OKC down to Brownsville. Haha

Try this, you can search many sites at once using this site. I use this for the cash cars I buy to flip for cash. :)

www.autotempest.com

You're welcome. :)

Midnight11
02-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Wahh I want a daily. When I move the drive is gonna suck

DirtyD
02-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Wahh I want a daily. When I move the drive is gonna suck

You chose to move there. Lol

Dark Pony
02-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Yeah. BMW's are another car in my opinion you don't want to buy out of warranty and/or high mileage. They have sensors for sensors (no joke, typical german engineering) and they tend to go for $200-500 bucks a piece. It's a crap shoot with BMW, if you can find one that has service records with a solid history, low mileage then you can drive it for awhile, but don't plan on keeping it past 90k-100k miles. Toanswer your question simply - stay away from BMW's in the 2k-4k range unless you are okay with regular repairs and idiot lights going off all the time.

In my expierence, you can't go wrong with Toyotas for basic transportation, especially the trucks. They routinely will go 300k+ miles plus if they have been cared for properly.

Acura's are good cars, the TL's always sell quickly because they are nice cars, good power and resell well. But theft can be an issue.

Sport compacts are going to be tricky because they are cheap enough for the kids to own and beat on and the theft rate is really high on them. This is especially true on anything Honda related.

I'm just not a fan of Japanese cars.

We just got rid of a 2008 G35S that was constantly having problems! We would have replaced it with a Yukon Denali, but the bank wouldnt give us $70k for a truck. instead, we ended up with a new Expedition LTD.

I have always been a fan of the early 2000's 3 and 5 series BMW's. Any used cash car will have parts needing to be replaced. I think you hit the nail on the head, when you said to find one with all of its service records and possibly a 1 owner. I believe if one could be had for a cheap enough price, it may not be a bad daily.

I drive a couple hundred miles a day, so Nic I feel ya! I'm in the same boat, as you wanting something else to throw miles on!

Midnight11
02-21-2013, 09:56 AM
another long day driving in the stang :(

DirtyD
02-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Try this, you can search many sites at once using this site. I use this for the cash cars I buy to flip for cash. :)

www.autotempest.com

You're welcome. :)
Checked this site. A lot of the same trucks I've found already popped up except for a few in OK.

Grandpa
02-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Checked this site. A lot of the same trucks I've found already popped up except for a few in OK.

Did you look at the top of the page and go through all the tabs of the different sites?

DirtyD
02-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Did you look at the top of the page and go through all the tabs of the different sites?
Yup.

STROKD
02-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Ive been looking for a cash daily to get out of the VW payment... I think I will prob go with another Integra because I loved the one I had in HS and they last forever with few problems and look much better than a Civic...

I really want a 85-94ish Toyota Truck, but apparently so does everyone else because the resale prices on them are fucken obsurd.

Grandpa
02-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Trucks always bring a higher price in Texas just because it's truck country here. Everyone LOVES their trucks here and especially Ford and Toyota trucks because they are the best, most dependable trucks out there.

Matt, I feel ya on the early Toy's. Coming from Cali we loved those things. Slammed, sitting on a set of 18's or 20s', front 4x4 fenders...*drool* sweet cruisers!

STROKD
02-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Trucks always bring a higher price in Texas just because it's truck country here. Everyone LOVES their trucks here and especially Ford and Toyota trucks because they are the best, most dependable trucks out there.

Matt, I feel ya on the early Toy's. Coming from Cali we loved those things. Slammed, sitting on a set of 18's or 20s', front 4x4 fenders...*drool* sweet cruisers!

you will laugh but I was thinking Marty McFly style...

http://www.imcdb.org/i029063.jpg
hense the 85 comment... I loved the older ones the most with the tiny ass back seat areas, just enough for a few subs and amps.:gr_grin:

STROKD
02-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Or as you said, something slammed like this short bed...

http://www.jdmeuro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/JDM_Truck_Toyota_Tacoma_BBS_RS_01.jpg

http://www.jdmeuro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/JDM_Truck_Toyota_Tacoma_BBS_RS_02.jpg

Grandpa
02-21-2013, 12:49 PM

hense the 85 comment... I loved the older ones the most with the tiny ass back seat areas, just enough for a few subs and amps.:gr_grin:

Haha! Those were for the Baha Cali fellas. Neat trucks though.

Or as you said, something slammed like this short bed...

http://www.jdmeuro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/JDM_Truck_Toyota_Tacoma_BBS_RS_01.jpg

http://www.jdmeuro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/JDM_Truck_Toyota_Tacoma_BBS_RS_02.jpg

Yeah budddddy!!! Love it.

I loved the king cab long bed trucks with a shell on the back. When slammed they looked amazing! That blue one looks like a nice lil clean cruiser.

STROKD
02-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Haha! Those were for the Baha Cali fellas. Neat trucks though.

Yeah budddddy!!! Love it.

I loved the king cab long bed trucks with a shell on the back. When slammed they looked amazing! That blue one looks like a nice lil clean cruiser.

the blue one looks bad ass, its prob worth more than my C5.:boxed: I dont understand how a 15-20 y/o truck can cost almost what it did new...

a 1999-2000 Lightning with 100k miles doesnt resale for 30-35k...

blownaltered
02-21-2013, 02:52 PM

I've always wanted to build that truck, I wouldn't change a thing. I'm not into slammed trucks, you make a truck useless when you do that.

Grandpa
02-21-2013, 02:58 PM
I've always wanted to build that truck, I wouldn't change a thing. I'm not into slammed trucks, you make a truck useless when you do that.

LOL, no you don't, I know this because I speak from expeirence on this one coming from mini trucks that I used like crazy. Besides, most 4x4 trucks in the city are merely nothing more than concrete cowboys that never see mud.

DirtyD
02-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Please don't get me started on that...:facepalm:

http://images.truckinweb.com/events/0510_fest_19z+chevrolet_dualie+front_side_view.jpg

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/general-chit-chat/714126d1356325717-bagged-dually-piratedually4.jpg

03MachMe
02-21-2013, 03:38 PM
I don't mind a lowered truck but I think they look retarded slammed like that. Too vato style for me

DirtyD
02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
I don't mind a lowered truck but I think they look retarded slammed like that. Too vato style for me
Yeah, I would never go to the point of tucking tire, just not my style, but I do like some bagged and bodied trucks when they are done right. But most of the time it's just iterations of the same thing...

The ride height I had my F150 was as low as I'd go.

Grandpa
02-21-2013, 05:00 PM
That's the magic of air ride, you can drive around normal height if you like, but when you park it you drop it on it's nuts. As for towing, the most heavy duty vehicles out there use an air bag system over the rear axles to increase towing capacity.

BLK2012GT
02-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Lower trucks are retarded. Kills the whole purpose of a truck.

Grandpa
02-21-2013, 05:29 PM

Did you not read the last few posts? No, it does not kill the purpose of a truck. I hauled stuff in my trucks all the time that were lowered. lol.

DirtyD
02-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Did you not read the last few posts? No, it does not kill the purpose of a truck. I hauled stuff in my trucks all the time that were lowered. lol.
Pretty sure that Jeff was trolling on you and I while he rolls around in his asphalt queen/mall crawler. :rolleyes:

STROKD
02-21-2013, 05:35 PM

What is "THE" purpose of a truck? I need a truck to haul my wheels and race gas tanks and tools to the track, and if I could afford a big truck, to haul my race car or show car to and from events... As Steve said A bagged and slammed truck does that just as well as a non lowered one.

Driving around in the dirt and wheeling bouncing around fucking up the paint isn't "THE" sole reason people buy trucks. I have two friends with lifted diesel monsters and neither of them has been in the dirt or mud to my knowledge.

Grandpa
02-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Pretty sure that Jeff was trolling on you and I while he rolls around in his asphalt queen/mall crawler. :rolleyes:

LOL, true. The only thing he hauls in that thing is his bowling balls.

blownaltered
02-21-2013, 07:35 PM
LOL, no you don't, I know this because I speak from expeirence on this one coming from mini trucks that I used like crazy. Besides, most 4x4 trucks in the city are merely nothing more than concrete cowboys that never see mud.

I know I would never take it off road but that truck is awesome. Mini trucks just don't get it done in my line of work. We make the back ends of our trucks that low to the ground but that is with tons of weight under in the beds.

Grandpa
02-21-2013, 07:44 PM
I know I would never take it off road but that truck is awesome. Mini trucks just don't get it done in my line of work. We make the back ends of our trucks that low to the ground but that is with tons of weight under in the beds.

Hence the term "sport truck" rather than work truck. Not everyone uses their trucks for work. Some people enjoy making their trucks fun cruisers and hot rods as well. Every tried to take a turn at speed in a 4x4? It's not a lot of fun. lol.

Lower center of gravity = better handling for a street truck.

Midnight11
02-21-2013, 08:06 PM
back to my focus lol

Grandpa
02-21-2013, 08:10 PM
back to my focus lol

Why? Just another car you can't drive. :bleh:

blownaltered
02-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Hence the term "sport truck" rather than work truck. Not everyone uses their trucks for work. Some people enjoy making their trucks fun cruisers and hot rods as well. Every tried to take a turn at speed in a 4x4? It's not a lot of fun. lol.

Lower center of gravity = better handling for a street truck.
Its a truck, unless you can use it for work its a worthless truck. I guess thats why I never got into it, I buy trucks for a purpose. If I want
a fun cruiser it will be a car not a truck.

Midnight11
02-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Why? Just another car you can't drive. :bleh:

thats it. you and me this sunday. if you dont show you are banned

blownaltered
02-21-2013, 08:16 PM

He won't show

Grandpa
02-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Its a truck, unless you can use it for work its a worthless truck. I guess thats why I never got into it, I buy trucks for a purpose. If I want
a fun cruiser it will be a car not a truck.

Silly redneck..

Sunday night we can meet up somewhere.lol

Sunday afternoon we are celebrating my wife's birthday with family over and going to her favorite place for lunch.

blownaltered
02-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Silly redneck..
Yes I am