PDA

View Full Version : Car wash routines

MnemonicGhost
02-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Hoping some of you guys divulge your trade secrets for a clean car. I live in McKinney, and have very hard water which can cause horrible water spots. I've been using the discontinued Mr. Clean autodry stuff, but have officially run out of the filters.

So what's the best option? Drive up to a self serve car wash and deal with the wind and overspray from everyone else? Or is there somethign else that is an affordable solution?

merlinmol
02-18-2013, 01:40 AM
I wash my car by hand top to bottom at a car wash, then use detail spray and a waffle weave to dry it.

Dan12GT
02-18-2013, 06:24 PM
I live an apartment so I do not have the luxury of washing my car at home (soon I will). I use a local car wash (self spray wash). I bring my own buckets, soap, sponges, and shammy to dry. I use the 2 bucket method and basically all I use the car wash for is the high pressure water. I dry it there using a shammy. After I get it back home I wipe any excess water down with a micro fiber towl. I then proceed to use quick detail. I use the Zaino quick detail spray. This removes any water streaks left over from drying and looks fantastic. I am basically done after that if I am just doing a normal wash.

I actually am about to amp my efforts to a porter cable or Griot grarage polisher and really go to town.

Grandpa
02-18-2013, 06:50 PM
I use the two bucket method as well. It's the best method to reduce the risk of getting fine scratches on the paint. I NEVER use a public car wash for the Mustangs.

I also don't dry the car with a towel, but rather making a quick blast down the highway to air dry it. In the summertime you have to make sure you wash in the shade, or do it early in the morning before it gets too hot otherwise it will dry faster than you can wash leaving water stains. I really need to buy a leaf blower to dry the cars rather than going and blasting on the highway.lol.

I also have micorfibers and detail sprays in both of the Mustangs to keep up on it if I drive through some water in the road. Wylie/Sachse both are notorious for leaving the sprinklers on too long and/or watering the damn street instead of the grass!

Dan12GT
02-18-2013, 07:13 PM
I've heard the air dry method is the best to reduce risk of fine scratches but when it comes down to it you cannot eliminate the risk of getting fine scratches in the paint. That is why they make polishes and waxes for. :)

Grandpa
02-18-2013, 07:15 PM
I've heard the air dry method is the best to reduce risk of fine scratches but when it comes down to it you cannot eliminate the risk of getting fine scratches in the paint. That is why they make polishes and waxes for. :)

That's why I didn't buy another black car so fine scratches won't send my OCD into overdrive. lol.

Dan12GT
02-18-2013, 07:36 PM
That's why I didn't buy another black car so fine scratches won't send my OCD into overdrive. lol.

Ya I get pretty pissy when I see a new blemish. Black sucks but looks so awesome!

MnemonicGhost
02-18-2013, 10:22 PM
I too do the 2 bucket method with grit guards, and microfiber for all drying and waxing needs. But I still am having trouble with the hard water. I guess I'll try to wash in the morning next time, and that may buy me some time in drying the car off before the spots appear. I really didn't want to head down to a car wash, but I guess that is always an option. Better start loading up on quarters...

merlinmol
02-18-2013, 10:46 PM
I too do the 2 bucket method with grit guards, and microfiber for all drying and waxing needs. But I still am having trouble with the hard water. I guess I'll try to wash in the morning next time, and that may buy me some time in drying the car off before the spots appear. I really didn't want to head down to a car wash, but I guess that is always an option. Better start loading up on quarters...

use detail spray on an area, then dry. It will help.

Grandpa
02-18-2013, 10:47 PM

Keeping a fresh wax job on the car really helps with the water spots as well. It won't stop it entirely because of all the crap we have in our water here in DFW but it will definetely help.

moor3r
02-19-2013, 01:45 AM
Wheels off, backside of wheels and fender wells. That's love or OCD.

Grandpa
02-19-2013, 03:07 AM
Wheels off, backside of wheels and fender wells. That's love or OCD.

And the suspension, oil pan, all the lower parts of the body, side rails, gas tank and picking all the bugs out of the front of the radiator, waxing the painted area of the door jams, rear seat belts buckled matching in a uniformed way (no twists or creases in the belts), vaccum the inside rear deck by the back window because of the dust that goes back there from driving with the windows down, clean the speaker covers

Definetly love. :D

brtnstrns
02-19-2013, 09:58 AM
... rear seat belts buckled matching in a uniformed way (no twists or creases in the belts)...

Haha. Good lord!

Courtesy Flush
02-19-2013, 11:27 AM
And the suspension, oil pan, all the lower parts of the body, side rails, gas tank and picking all the bugs out of the front of the radiator, waxing the painted area of the door jams, rear seat belts buckled matching in a uniformed way (no twists or creases in the belts), vaccum the inside rear deck by the back window because of the dust that goes back there from driving with the windows down, clean the speaker covers

OCD----
--
--
--(steve)
--
--
Anal Retentive----

Does the subaru commercial where the kids are soaping the interior and using toothpaste on the dials make you cringe? lol

Grandpa
02-19-2013, 11:40 AM
OCD----
--
--
--(steve)
--
--
Anal Retentive----

Does the subaru commercial where the kids are soaping the interior and using toothpaste on the dials make you cringe? lol

First time I saw that and saw the Dad just pick up a sponge to help I yelled BS!! I'd beat those kids! lol.

Courtesy Flush
02-19-2013, 12:00 PM
First time I saw that and saw the Dad just pick up a sponge to help I yelled BS!! I'd beat those kids! lol.

:rofl:

moor3r
02-19-2013, 03:44 PM

DAMN! I gotta step it up!

1andonlywhitie
02-19-2013, 04:28 PM
I washed my car today, here are my detailed steps...

Step 1: Take car to Ford for oil change to maintain warranty.
Step 2: Ask them nicely to wash it for free.
Step 3: Take clean car home.

I'm not fussed about the outside of my car really, I'll keep it clean but I'll fix it in future when it needs it....

Grandpa
02-19-2013, 04:45 PM
I washed my car today, here are my detailed steps...

Step 1: Take car to Ford for oil change to maintain warranty.
Step 2: Ask them nicely to wash it for free.
Step 3: Take clean car home.

I'm not fussed about the outside of my car really, I'll keep it clean but I'll fix it in future when it needs it....

Wait, if Ford doesn't change your oil it voids the warranty?

1andonlywhitie
02-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Wait, if Ford doesn't change your oil it voids the warranty?

You know what, I really don't think it matters but it's a buddy that works down there so I just go down to talk to him lol. My normal warranty is long gone, I have a powertrain extended warranty until December (came with the car). I just go to hang out and drool over the new cars...

BLK2012GT
02-20-2013, 04:25 AM
I usually take mine to Mr. Clean car wash in frisco. I see vipers, lambos, and other high class cars getting their shit washed their so I take my 25k dollar stang there too. And for detail I call Nick and pay him to do it.

STROKD
02-21-2013, 12:36 PM

lmao Ill be like that with my next car, but it will be an investment and fun to clean it up once or twice a year. for a daily f that, I dont even wash them anymore, I go to a quarter wash, do the soap spray, water spray, and haul ass up and down the freeway for 10 minutes and good enough. the last car I washed was the Porsche in Dec, only because it was going to the mechanic's house and I didnt want it scratched from the 5 years of storage dust it had on it...

Dan12GT
02-22-2013, 06:12 PM
I just ordered a porter cable kit with a Meguires two stage polish. Can't wait to use it! I'll post pics when I do it.

03MachMe
02-22-2013, 08:44 PM
I just ordered a porter cable kit with a Meguires two stage polish. Can't wait to use it! I'll post pics when I do it.

I need to get one of those bad!

Dan12GT
02-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Ya I'm super pumped to use it

MnemonicGhost
02-22-2013, 11:56 PM
I got the full meguair's kit, both ultimate (sythetic) and Gold Class (caranuba) and stand by both. Excellent products. I just haven't used the compound much before. But what's the porter cable kit? Sounds like an orbital buffer.

STROKD
02-23-2013, 01:07 AM
I got the full meguair's kit, both ultimate (sythetic) and Gold Class (caranuba) and stand by both. Excellent products. I just haven't used the compound much before. But what's the porter cable kit? Sounds like an orbital buffer.

Are you using the # formulas? Those are the bad ass ones, I just forget which ones are what... its like #81-#85 or somethin.

blownaltered
02-28-2013, 11:10 AM

Ok you have to help me get mine all polished up after it gets out of the shop.

Grandpa
02-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Ok you have to help me get mine all polished up after it gets out of the shop.

No problem. Just let me know when. Nice weather is coming up soon. :)

blownaltered
02-28-2013, 07:02 PM
No problem. Just let me know when. Nice weather is coming up soon. :)

I will defintely do that, the car is going to need it.

MnemonicGhost
03-20-2013, 03:11 AM
Are you using the # formulas? Those are the bad ass ones, I just forget which ones are what... its like #81-#85 or somethin.

No I haven't gone that far, but basically did everything else.