PDA

View Full Version : Tail Light rattle from sub

RedRedemption
02-07-2013, 12:18 AM
I have this annoying rattle sound that comes from inside the tail light. It shakes a lot when I turn up my music. I have kicker l7 with a big sub box so it hits pretty hard. I have taken the tail light out but there is no way to access inside the tail light. I uploaded this youtube video to give you guys an idea. I dont know if I can take it to my dealer and get it replaced or not. Any ideas or suggestions are helpful. Just didnt want to pay another $100 for a tail light. It doesnt shake when you drive, just rattles when you turn up the volume a little bit.

http://youtu.be/Cul9dIOlRO8

Courtesy Flush
02-07-2013, 10:35 AM
remove sub. No dealer is gonna replace that tailight as the noise is only brought on due to the sub in the trunk.

This is the main reason i steer clear from adding subs to my cars anymore.
Sounds good in the beginning and then everything starts sounding as if its coming apart.

DirtyD
02-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Definitely remove your sub before taking it in.

Also, try shutting your trunk hard to see if the tail light will vibrate. If you can replicate the problem with that, you might have a better shot at having it replaced...but more than likely that rattling is something other than the tail light.

jng2985
02-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Insulation behind the housing and on the other side inside the trunk. I'm sure someone on here has the upgraded sound system from ford.. Maybe some pictures of what ford does from the factory with their sub.

RedRedemption
02-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Definitely remove your sub before taking it in.

Also, try shutting your trunk hard to see if the tail light will vibrate. If you can replicate the problem with that, you might have a better shot at having it replaced...but more than likely that rattling is something other than the tail light.

Yeah I was definately gunna remove it before taking it in. When I get home from work, I will try your idea and see if it works. I need some kind of dynomat or something by the tail lights for sure tho.

Pat McCrotch
02-08-2013, 04:23 AM
I have a JL12W6 in my trunk and tail light did same thing until the piece broke off.
I had the box custom built and installed so not easy to just take out. It looks like it came from factory and still have trunk space. Since I couldnt take it out, i knew ford wouldnt replace the light, so I Bought the Raxiom Smoked Aero Tail Lights from AM. These do not have that piece that rattles. Looks great and cheaper than a new factory light. No more rattle.

RedRedemption
02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
I have a JL12W6 in my trunk and tail light did same thing until the piece broke off.
I had the box custom built and installed so not easy to just take out. It looks like it came from factory and still have trunk space. Since I couldnt take it out, i knew ford wouldnt replace the light, so I Bought the Raxiom Smoked Aero Tail Lights from AM. These do not have that piece that rattles. Looks great and cheaper than a new factory light. No more rattle.

I didn't know that the Raxiom didnt have those pieces. The smoked ones look pretty nice....I might purchase those then once I get my tax refund back :D

cars12369
02-08-2013, 05:46 PM
I noticed that while ago but i cant here it you can actually see it shake tho when you look at it